9GAG is an online platform and social media website. Users upload and share user-generated content or other content from external social media websites.
- The website’s content is generally referred to as “internet memes”, and is upvoted, downvoted, and commented on by users. Users may also reward submissions with ‘Gaggerinos.’ The artificial currency that may be traded in exchange for user benefits.
- Similar to other social media websites like 4chan, Reddit and Digg, 9GAG utilizes user-generated memes that are shared with the entire 9GAG community. While memes have different categories, they are typically displayed as humorous images, or comic strips, with captions conveying certain messages.
- Most of 9GAG’s content is presented in the form of image memes, whereby animal-related image memes (e.g., Advice Animals or Good Advice Mallard) tend to be popular.
- These image memes are typically formatted, whereby a given image has both top and bottom captions. While the top caption describes a certain situation, the bottom caption usually complements the top caption by presenting a humorous follow up message to the original situation.
- Memes are commonly presented in a 4×4 comic strip.
The website was co-founded in 2008 – 2009 by University of Hong Kong student Ray Chan, his brother Chris Chan, and others, with the intention of creating an alternative online platform to email on which users could easily share humorous photos or videos. In a 2012 interview, Ray Chan declined to explain where the name “9GAG” is derived from.
Source : 9GAG